Now that Thanksgiving is behind us, it’s time to start getting in the holiday spirit with beautiful outdoor Christmas decorations. If you’re an outdoor lighting novice and have always wanted to participate in the fun of jovial Christmas lighting, now is the time to get started! Here are a few tips for transforming your yard into a winter wonderland.
- Start small – If you’re just getting started with Christmas lights, it’s best to stick to the basics. Being too ambitious with your lighting project may end up with more headaches than it’s worth. Choose a few focal points and grow your light display from there.
- Choose safe lighting – Make sure that you’re using lights with the UL (Underwriters Laboratories) label. You also want to be sure that your lights are designed specifically for outdoor use.
- Use the right lights – There’s a million and one different types of holiday lights, each suited to a different use case. Make sure you do your research beforehand so that you can find the best lights for your property.
- Check burned-out lights – Before you get started hanging things up, test light strings for burned-out lights and make replacements as needed. Keep in mind that burned-out bulbs still drain power from the entire light string.
- Work your way up – Always enlist help from a ladder and a steady hand when hanging lights from very tall trees or areas of your home. Use tree clips or twist ties to attach lights, and start from the base and move your way up when spiraling lights around a tree.
- Avoid brightness overload – While holiday lights can be dazzling, you don’t want to overload your circuits. You should avoid going over 1,400 watts on a circuit. If the lights in the house dim when you turn on your holiday display, you’ve overloaded the circuit.
- Call the pros – If you really want to go all out this year but don’t have the expertise or roofing experience, why not leave the job to the pros? With help from Edward’s Lawn & Home you can create a holiday light display that’s sure to wow your visiting relatives.
Outdoor Lighting from Edward’s Lawn & Home
Ready to get started on your next landscaping project? At Edward’s Lawn & Home, we help home and business owners transform their landscapes into the stuff of their dreams. Our experienced design and build professionals take great care to deliver a quality product that will meet your satisfaction. Get in touch with us today by calling (443) 341 6539. You can also check out our portfolio or connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google+.